Date: December 20, 2018
Winter has come and you may start to become antsy as you’re cooped up in your home. You don’t have to feel that way, though! By transforming your garage into another living space, you can expand the area in which your family can enjoy and relax. Simply use our garage conversion ideas to help guide you in your project.
Creative Garage Conversion Ideas
Maximize the space within your home by parking your vehicles outside or in another covered area and turning your garage into usable space. Try one of these ideas to get you started.
Exercising during the winter months is important, especially for individuals who tend to have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). With exercise, you can invigorate your mind and body to help combat depression.
Create a place right in your own home that’s dedicated to health and wellness! You can add a comfortable, padded flooring and bring in all of the workout equipment you want. You might also consider adding a new garage door with more sections of glass, or even completely made of glass, to let light in and enhance the new space. In warmer months, you can open the door to let fresh air in as you exercise.
- Utilize the walls as storage for free weights and other supplies such as jump ropes, tension bands, and sweat towels.
- Create an energetic space with splashes of color, then add a stereo system and speakers to play your favorite workout tunes.
- Add an entertainment center so you can stream new workouts or watch your favorite show while you get your sweat on.
Work from the comfort of your own home by turning your garage into a cozy, quiet office.
If your garage is detached from your home, you can separate your work and family life, which can help to limit stress. Plus, with a garage door that incorporates windows, you can create a bright, productive atmosphere with pleasant, outdoor views.
- Add decorative lighting to create a comfortable environment.
- Install wood floors for a professional look, then utilize throw rugs for a soft, warm look.
- Connect your garage/new office to your smart home to effectively use computers, printers, and phones.
Create a separate space for your children to play and keep their toys by turning your garage into their playroom. This is great, especially if your home doesn’t have a basement or you don’t have a spare room that can be used to house toys and games.
- Add soft carpeting to the floor so kids can run around or sit on the floor without injuring themselves.
Paint the walls with chalkboard paint, then let your children create their own art directly on the walls.
- They’ll feel like they helped create the space, and it’s a fun, hands-on art project!
- Consider connecting your garage playroom to your backyard so you can simply open the garage door and allow your kids to play in the fresh air.
Whether you’re an artist and you don’t want to spend money renting out a studio or you’re just looking for a place to relax and unwind after long days at work, a garage art studio may be just what you need. You can make it anything you want it to be. Add a craft station, a workbench, or even comfy furniture for sewing and knitting.
For inspiration and perfect lighting, make sure your garage door incorporates glass sections. The sections will allow you to naturally light up the space and become inspired by the outdoors.
- Install flooring that’s easy to clean so you can create freely without having to worry about the mess or any stains.
- Add a lot of lighting so you can add small details to your drawings, paintings, or sculptures.
- Incorporate a drying area and/or display area to hang paintings as they dry and showcase them once they’re complete.
Man or Woman Cave
Create a space that’s your own! It can be your area to get away from daily stresses and work. Plus, you’ll be able to decorate it exactly like you want. Men can hang their prized memorabilia and set up their ideal entertainment center to watch sports, while women can add comfortable sofas and a reading nook that allows them to escape into a book for a while.
If you aren’t sold on the idea of converting your garage, you may want to consider transforming your shed into a she shed! You can still add an overhead garage door to it for the same effect. The door can even have decorative glass elements to allow for more light in the smaller space.
- Add a bar and refrigerator to keep beer and wine on hand.
- Install a large screen, projector, and comfy seating to make your own movie theater.
- Hang a hammock so you can nap in peace and ultimate comfort.
Additional Garage Renovation Tips
Take your renovated garage to the next level! No matter what you turn your garage into, these tips can help make your new space more efficient, comfortable, and aesthetically-pleasing.
Rewire & Add More Outlets
If you’re looking to transform your garage into anything other than a garage or storage area, you’re probably going to need more outlets. Hire a professional to rewire your garage and add additional outlets so you can fully equip your new room with all the light and electronics you want.
Install Air Conditioning & Heating
If you’re planning to spend a lot of time in your converted garage, it’s important to condition or heat the space so you can use it year round. With the proper units, you can keep the room at a comfortable temperature.
Upgrade Your Garage Door
An upgraded garage door can help insulate your new space while increasing your home’s value! Added windows also allow natural light to enter your new living area, helping to create a warm, inviting atmosphere. A new door can also be made to have added insulation to aid in keeping heating and conditioning costs low.