Date: March 25, 2020
You’ve probably seen homes with stunning glass garage doors in your neighborhood or around your town. We love this sleek, modern option, which is why we introduced our own line of glass garage doors last year. If you’re considering a glass garage door for your home but don’t know which questions to ask, we’ve got everything you need to make an informed decision.
How Are Glass Garage Doors Made?
Glass garage doors are typically constructed from glass panels that are framed in heavy-duty aluminum. Aluminum is rust- and corrosion-resistant, making it an excellent choice for garage door framing. It’s also lightweight, so it puts less strain on automatic garage door openers and keeps them from making noise.
In addition to standard, polycarbonate-coated glass, you can typically choose from the following specialty glass options:
- Colored/tinted glass (gray, bronze, white, etc.)
- Decorative glass (frosted, glacier, hammered, seeded, etc.)
- Reflective/mirrored glass
- Obscure/opaque glass
- Tempered glass
- Laminated glass
- Insulated glass
What Are the Benefits of Glass Garage Doors?
Residential glass garage doors are an excellent choice that can help you boost your home’s curb appeal. Your house will be a showpiece in the neighborhood and is sure to catch everyone’s eye. Need a few more benefits of glass garage doors? You’ll find them below:
- Glass garage doors are decay-, moisture-, rot-, and insect-resistant, so you don’t have to worry about fixing or replacing them frequently.
- Glass garage doors offer unbeatable light transmission in comparison to other door styles. Want to transform your garage into a home office, art studio, or home gym? Glass is the way to go.
- Because they let in so much light, glass garage doors save you money. You won’t have to spend money on electricity to light your garage during the day. This makes glass energy-efficient and more environmentally-friendly than some other door options.
- Glass doors are very low-maintenance and don’t need to be re-stained or re-painted. They’re also easy to clean.
- Because they have an aluminum frame, glass garage doors are strong and resilient. The rigid frame is stronger than some other door materials and holds the glass panels tightly in place. This makes the glass less likely to break under stress.
- Custom glass garage doors offer a sophisticated appearance that protects your garage without obscuring your view. It brings the outside in (and the inside out) and is the perfect choice for homes in scenic locations.
What Are the Downsides of Glass Garage Doors?
While there are many positives to clear glass garage doors, there are also a few downsides to keep in mind.
- Unlike other materials (like composite), glass isn’t a good insulator. Over the summer, it may allow hot air to enter your garage and cool air to escape it. And during the winter, it can allow heat to escape more easily, increasing your heating costs.
- If you don’t choose obscure or opaque glass, these doors don’t offer much privacy. This can be a problem if you keep anything valuable in your garage, like a classic car.
- Depending on the damage, repairs to glass garage doors can be costly. In many cases, the garage door technician may have to replace an entire panel for a seemingly minor repair.
- While uncommon, glass garage door panels can crack or break. This typically isn’t an issue due to the sturdy aluminum frame that tightly holds the glass panels in place.
Which Paint and Finishing Options Are Available for Glass Garage Doors?
The aluminum frames of your residential glass garage doors can be painted in a wide variety of colors, including gray, bronze, and white. And as we mentioned previously, you can choose from a range of specialty glass options to add your own personal touch.
Which Add-Ons Are Available for Glass Garage Doors?
Like other door materials, custom glass garage doors can be personalized with decorative hardware and custom door stops and seals. Most of our decorative hardware is designed with other door materials in mind. However, faux handles work well with our faux French door-style glass garage doors.
What Are the Best Climates for Glass Garage Doors?
Clear glass garage doors are weather-durable, which means they work well in a variety of geographic areas. However, they’re best for homes in warmer or temperate climates, since there isn’t as much cold air entering into the garage.
If you live in a coastal area, keep in mind that salt can deteriorate your door’s aluminum framing. This is the case with any garage door material, though. The key to a longer lifespan is knowing the prevailing wind direction and choosing your door accordingly.
How Do You Maintain Glass Garage Doors?
Residential glass garage doors are extremely low-maintenance and easy to clean. Simply polish the glass panels with a glass cleaner and towel like you would any other window. You can clean the aluminum frame with a mild detergent and rinse it with a garden hose. When you clean the frame, be sure to also clean behind the door stop and weatherstripping on all four sides of the door.
Does Artisan Offer Glass Garage Doors?
Yes! We introduced our Panorama line of glass and aluminum garage doors in fall 2019. They’re the perfect addition to any home, from restored farmhouses to mid-century modern ranchers. To learn more about the Panorama series, check out the product brochure.