Our most economical, stain-grade wood carriage door
The Benchmark Stain Grade door series delivers a beautiful wood overhead door that can fit almost any budget.
All The Right Features
The Benchmark Stain Grade door has been designed to provide a quality, wood door that easily and beautifully accepts a stained finish and will look fabulous for years to come.
Our streamlined construction method relies on a simple, limited set of design features and options that translates to shorter production times while delivering quality wood doors at a reduced cost. Square edges are a stand-out feature of this door.
A total wood door utilizes a frame made of engineered lumber that can’t be beat for strength coupled with a finely grained, solid wood face provides a beautiful combination for a unique door for your home.
Need a custom size door? No problem! A wood door is easily customized to fit any size opening.
Our standard Benchmark Stain Grade construction includes:
- Meranti wood perimeter and trim boards with square edges
- Meranti tongue & groove panels
- Wood core frame for strength and low maintenance
- Overall frame thickness of 2-1/4 inch.
- High performance 6 R value polystyrene core
- Cabinet-grade, Smooth Mahogany plywood interior back
- 1-1/4 inch wide, beveled window muntins
- Simulated divided lites with an exterior grille
- Bottom astragal is an EPDM rubber seal mounted in an aluminum retainer.
- Bottom rail is designed to shed water away to help preserve the wood frame and panels.
All Benchmark Stain Grade doors are made with Meranti wood.
Meranti is a superior exterior grade wood. Boat builders have long been using Meranti for its durability and weather resistance. There isn’t another application where wood gets tested more in the extreme. It is an excellent exterior grade wood species.
Meranti, in many ways, is similar to Genuine Mahogany. The density and grain structure are similar with a nice, homogenous look that allows it to be milled easily and holds details very well. It is much lighter in weight than African exterior woods such as Sapele, Utile and African Mahogany.
Standard Design Choices included in our base price:
- Square top
- Solid top with no glass
- Glass top with double strength, clear window glass.
- Traditional, rectangular lite grilles only.
- Up to 4 panels on a single door or 8 panels on a double door.
- Standard Panel options include:
- V-Groove tongue & groove
- Flush tongue & groove
Upgrade Options (Not included in base price):
- Standard Radius Arch top
- Custom Radius Arch top
- 6 panels or more on a single door, 12 panels or more on a double door.
- Trim board upgrades options include:
- Cross Buck (X-Buck).
- Z-Buck (A-Buck)
- Cross rail(s).
- Herringbone orientation on T&G panels. Some limitations may apply.
- Mullioned Lites
- Tempered, insulated, or specialty glasses.
- Decorative hardware.
- Matching door stops (see Finish Options for details)
Benchmark Stain Grade wood doors come unfinished. Your finish options are:
- Purchase a factory stain finish and select from our 12 standard EnduraFinish colors. Go to our Door Finishes page to see our standard colors.
- Stain the door yourself. Select a high quality wood stain in a color of your choice. Select a high quality exterior, marine-grade clear top coat to protect your door. Be sure to finish all 6 sides/edges before installing. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to ensure ultimate protection for your door.
Suggested FIELD Finishing: Meranti is not an oily wood and is very open-pored. Use a stain system with a sealer component as well as a top coat.
- Sand with 220, remove all sanding dust.
- Apply impregnating stain and double the recommended drying time.
- Apply one thin coat of a wood sealer, allow to dry.
- Lightly scuff the sealer coat.
- Apply a 2nd coat of sealer (diluted with 10 percent water). This allows for better penetration of open grain and reduces potential for bridging of open grain. Dry.
- Sand with 320, remove all sanding dust.
- Apply 3 coats of a clear satin top coat as per manufacturers instructions)
Consider enhancing your Artisan door with one of these available accessories:
- Decorative Hardware is a great add-on accessory that is easy to install and enhances the beauty and curb appeal of any door. Follow our link to find out more about the kinds of strap hinges, pulls and latches we offer.
- Window glass options are very numerous and specialty glass can offer an additional personal touch to your door.
- Door stops with seals can provide a tight seal around your door opening to reduce drafts and water infiltration. Door stops come in a variety of materials and finishes, and the weatherseal can be selected to coordinated with your door finish and house trim colors. See our web page for more details.
CARE of your Benchmark Stain Grade door:
Our Benchmark SG door is a hand-crafted wood door. Exposure to the sun, wind, and water will impact the care your Benchmark SG door requires.
Long exposures to southern or western sunlight and significant wind will thin the top coat over time. Wind wears it away, and sunlight’s UV rays will break down the top coat, effectively thinning it out. Left alone, the top coat can be removed/destroyed by these natural elements in a very short time.
Factory applied stain finishes have 2 layers of clear protective material coating on top of the stain layers when they leave our factory. The top coats must be maintained and periodically replaced or refreshed in order to prevent more significant maintenance work.
- Every door needs regular cleaning to keep the finish looking good.
- At a minimum, an annual inspection should be completed to ensure the protective top coat continues to provide an uninterrupted and sealed coating to prevent the intrusion of moisture into the stained wood surface.
- Look for changes in the sheen of the top coat. Apply a new top coat if the surface starts to look ‘dry’. Gently wash the door, dry and lightly scuff, rinse and dry before applying the fresh top coat.
- A good rule of thumb is to reapply at least one coat of a clear, marine-grade polyurethane finish every two years.
- Visit the Care & Maintenance pagefor more details.
Please go to our Warranties page for the full warranty disclosure. The summary of warranty periods is as follows:
- Benchmark Stain Grade: Wood Door sections: (1) one year from date of factory shipping for material defects.
- Track & Hardware: (3) THREE years from date of installation by AUTHORIZED Artisan Dealer.
- Factory Finish: (1) ONE year from date of factory shipping.