Genuine wood, traditional stile & rail carriage house doors
with great design versatility and beautiful finish options
The Sheffield Series is one of Artisan’s premier genuine wood carriage house door lines and relies on the traditional stile & rail construction techniques, interpreting the look of historic doors for today’s homes.
All The Right Features
The traditional stile & rail frame system defines these doors while the carriage style design elements can create a unique door for your home.
A sustainanable FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) paint-grade base model door provides a very affordable option to dress up your home while allowing customization to meet your design requirements.
Solid wood upgrades can provide the beauty of a finely crafted and stained, real-wood door that can complement any home's style.
Whether looking for a single door or a double door, standard and custom sizes are available.
Our standard Sheffield construction includes:
- A solid-wood stile & rail frame system with traditional joinery.
- Inset panels are backed with a urethane insulated foam layer for an R5 insulation value.
- The entire door is backed with exterior-grade, smooth mahogany Luan plywood, adding strength and providing a clean interior finish.
- Simulated divided lites with an exterior grille that has profiled edge milling for a rich, architectural detail.
- Window muntins interlock together with the sub-frame.
- Standard window glass is Double-Strength clear glass.
- A square kerf accentuates the look of the door style selected by defining the swing, bifold or trifold look of the door.
- Bottom rail is designed to shed water away to help preserve the wood frame and panels.
- Bottom astragal is a rubber U-seal mounted in an aluminum retainer.
Our Sheffield series starts with a base model that is a very affordable, unfinished, paint-grade door. It is easily customized by selecting from our extensive upgrade options to make it a spectacular, stain-grade design feature for your garage.
Paint-Grade Base Model includes:
- FSC certified Red Grandis in a traditional stile & rail frame backed with urethane foam insulation
- Tricoya® brand, exterior-grade, wood composite flat panels
- Square top, with or without glass
- Door widths up to 12′-0″ wide with Red Grandis stile & rail frame. (Wider doors require a wood species upgrade to the frame.)
Paint-Grade ONLY Upgrades include:
- Tricoya® V-Groove Panels
- Red Grandis tongue & groove panels in your choice of beaded, flush, square or V-groove T&G
- Extira® brand, raised panels
- Herringbone Red Grandis T&G wood panels (45 degree orientation to grooves)
- Herringbone Tricoya brand V-Groove panels (45 degree orientation to grooves)
- Wood species stile & rail frame upgraded to one of our standard wood species, while keeping the Tricoya® Flat panels. This upgrade required for doors wider than 12′-0″ wide
Stain-Grade Upgrade options:
- Sapele Mahogany stile & rail frame with matching solid wood T&G panels
- Spanish Cedar stile & rail frame with matching solid wood T&G panels
- Doug Fir stile & rail frame with matching solid wood T&G panels
Note: See Panel, Trim Broad & Other Options tab for more details.
Artisan Standard Wood Species for Sheffield doors:
- Red Grandis (limited to Sheffield doors 12′-0″ wide and smaller)
- Sapele Mahogany
- Spanish Cedar
- Go to our Door Materials page to learn more about our standard selection of wood species.
Top Section Upgrade Options:
- Insulated, Tempered or Specialty glass
- True Divided Lites with individual panes of glass and an integral sash that provides added durability
- Mullioned Lites
- Arch Top, Artisan standard radius with simulated divided lites or solid top (no glass)
- Arch Top, custom arch radius with simulated divided lites or solid top (no glass)
- Arch Top with true divided lites, Artisan standard radius
- Arch top with true divided lites, custom arch radius
Panel Upgrade Options:
- Tricoya brand V-Groove panels
- Increase the number of panels to 6 on a single door or 12 on a double door
- Increase the number of panels to 8 on a single door or 16 on a double door
- Flat solid wood panels (limited to panels 12″ wide or smaller)
- Solid wood tongue & groove (T&G) panels to match wood specie of overlay frame:
- V-groove T&G
- Beaded T&G
- Square T&G
- Flush T&G
- Raised solid wood panels (limited to panels that are 12″ wide or smaller)
- Raised solid wood flush T&G panels (for panels wider than 12″)
- Herringbone (45 degree orientation) Tricoya V-Groove panels
- Herringbone (45 degree orientation) solid wood T&G panels
Decorative Trim Upgrade Options:
- Cross Buck (X-Buck)
- Z-Buck (A-Buck)
A real wood Sheffield door offers the greatest variety of choices for finishing your door. Finishing options depend on the materials selected for your door.
Please note that any Sheffield door that leaves our factory unfinished or primed only MUST be finished on all 6 sides/edges BEFORE INSTALLATION in order to maintain the warranty.
- Unfinished from the factory: Be sure to follow our storage and finishing instructions in order to maintain the warranty.
- Factory prime only: 2 coats of primer applied on all 6 sides of each door section.
- Custom paint color or Artisan standard paint color: Includes 2 coats of primer then 2 coats of final color paint. Any Sheffield door of any wood species can be painted. Artisan recommends selecting a color that has an LRV (Light Reflective Value) that is greater than 40. This will reduce the heat build-up in the door as well as fading and issues with normal wood performance (splitting, cracking, etc.).
- Faux stain paint: These wood-look colors are offered only for Red Grandis face frame with Red Grandis panel options.
- EnduraFinish stain: Only for doors with upgraded wood species face frame and panels, which includes Western Red Cedar, Spanish Cedar, Sapele Mahogany and most custom wood species upgrades. (Stain finish excludes Red Grandis doors because the wood has a pink undertone that changes the finish color.)
Field finishing needs to be completed within 2 weeks of the date the doors arrive. To prevent damage to the door sections, it is critical that all 6 sides, especially the 4 edges, be finished and sealed from moisture prior to installation. this is necessary to maintain the warranty.
Faux stain paint finish for complete Red Grandis doors only (can not be applied to Tricoya®)
Our Faux stain colors for Red Grandis only are a paint & glaze system with superior heat reflectivity, providing a long-lasting paint finish plus the look of a rich stain. There are 10 Artisan colors to choose from. Learn more on our Door Finishes page.
EnduraFinish stain for Sapele Mahogany, Spanish Cedar and Doug Fir doors
Our EnduraFinish stain finish is a water-based stain & finish process that offers 12 beautiful colors to choose from. Learn more on our Door Finishes page.
Consider enhancing your Artisan door with one of these available accessories:
- Decorative hardware is a great add-on accessory that is easy to install and enhances the beauty and curb appeal of any door. Follow our link to find out more about the kinds of strap hinges, pulls and latches we offer.
- Window glass options are very numerous, and specialty glass can offer an additional personal touch to your door.
- Door stops and seals can provide a tight seal around your door opening to reduce drafts and water infiltration. Door stops come in a variety of materials and finishes, and the weatherseal can be selected to coordinate with your door finish and house trim colors. See our web page for more details.
Care of Your Sheffield Door
Every garage door needs an annual inspection to verify that the finish remains in good condition and all hardware is intact. It is recommended that the door be washed at least once a year with a mild soap and a soft cloth. Never pressure wash the door. Pressure washing will significantly reduce the longevity of your finish. Learn more on our Care & Maintenance page.
Please go to our Warranties page for the full warranty disclosure. The summary of warranty periods is as follows:
- Sheffield: Wood Door sections: (2) two years from date of factory shipping.
- Track & Hardware: (3) three years from date of installation by authorized Artisan Dealer.
- Factory Finish: (1) one year from date of factory shipping.