Vinyl garage doors are an excellent choice for homes of every shape, size, and style. Along with their visual appeal, these doors are durable, low-maintenance, and versatile. If you’re in the market for new garage doors and are considering vinyl, this buying guide is for you. Keep reading for everything you need to know about vinyl garage doors and information on Artisan’s three vinyl garage door lines.
What is Vinyl?
Otherwise known as polyvinyl chloride (PVC), vinyl is one of the world’s most widely-produced synthetic plastic polymers. Vinyl comes in rigid and flexible forms and is used to make everything from windows and doors to flooring and signage.
Unlike composite materials, vinyl doesn’t contain any wood. However, it can still be cut, milled, shaped, and routed just like wood with standard woodworking tools. It can also be heat-formed, which is useful when constructing arched windows and doorways.
Why Choose Vinyl Garage Doors?
Vinyl garage doors are a smart choice because they offer the positive qualities of real wood without the maintenance. They’re insect-, salt-, moisture-, fungus-, and rot-resistant, and they won’t splinter, twist, or warp.
Because they’re more lightweight than real wood, vinyl doors reduce stress on door hardware, springs, and operating systems. Vinyl is incredibly durable and is particularly well-suited for outdoor applications and contact with the ground. It’s also flame retardant and a good noise insulator.
What Are the Downsides of Vinyl Garage Doors?
While vinyl garage doors are more durable than wooden doors, they’re typically less durable than wood composite materials. And because vinyl absorbs excessive heat, your paint color options are also limited. Dark paint will fade on vinyl, so these doors aren’t a good choice for homeowners who want dark door.
Which Paint Options Are Available for Vinyl Garage Doors?
Because vinyl naturally has a white, semi-matte finish, these doors don’t require paint. However, Artisan can paint your door using an acrylic paint with an LRV (light reflectance value) of 60 or higher. Lighter colors reduce the excessive heat vinyl doors absorb from the sun.
Which Vinyl Garage Door Add-Ons Are Available?
We offer a wide range of beautiful add-ons for our premium vinyl garage doors. You can choose from the accessories and decorative hardware below:
- Clavos are small, 1” x 1” accent pieces that dress up your door’s paneling and trim.
- Door stops with weather seals keep moisture out and provide excellent insulation.
- Latches add a rustic touch to any carriage house-style garage door.
- Pull handles and rings dress up your doors and enhance their curb appeal.
- Specialty glass sets your garage apart from your neighbors’.
- Strap hinges are hand-forged and sure to catch everyone’s eye.
What Are the Best Climates for Vinyl Garage Doors?
Low temperatures, high moisture, extreme weather, and freeze/thaw cycles — vinyl can handle it all. Whether your home is high in the mountains or on the beach, you can rest assured that your vinyl garage door will last for years to come.
How Do You Maintain Vinyl Garage Doors?
If you’re looking for low-maintenance garage doors, vinyl is the way to go. If your door is unpainted, all you have to do is wipe it down in the spring and fall. It’s a good idea to inspect your door and its hardware annually, regardless of what it’s made of.
If your vinyl garage door is painted, you may need to repaint it occasionally. Vinyl is naturally fade-, crack-, peel-, and blister-resistant, though. All in all, vinyl is extremely low-maintenance in comparison to wood.
Does Artisan Offer Vinyl Garage Doors?
Absolutely! We offer three premium vinyl garage door series:
- Prelude 2 – The Prelude 2 series pairs vinyl panels with a steel frame and offers the simulated look of carriage house doors.
- Symphony – Symphony series carriage house doors have vinyl panels that look like real wood and a sturdy steel frame.
All of our attractive vinyl doors offer a host of benefits, including:
- The historic look of wooden carriage doors with the modern conveniences of vinyl.
- Outstanding impact resistance and dimensional stability for a long lifespan.
- Standard Designer White EasyCare finish or the ability to upgrade to custom light paint colors.
- Foam insulation for thermal efficiency and high R-values, which are used to measure insulation effectiveness.
- An easy-to-clean surface that repels debris and dust so the door always looks clean.
- Profiled edge trim boards that resist decay, moisture, rotting, and insect damage.
- Environmentally-responsible construction from sustainable, recycled materials.