Smart homes are growing in popularity due to their reliability and ease, so why stop there? Smart garages have just as many benefits as smart homes, and in some cases, maybe even more. When you think about it, many of us use our garages every day for a variety of reasons.
Learning how to make your garage smart is an investment that could save you time, money and a lot of extra work in the future. This is why, as you begin your garage cleaning list this year, you should consider how you can elevate your space with a few simple smart garage solutions. In this blog, we’ll review 4 ways you can begin connecting your garage to your smart home, and offer some of our favorite smart features.
4 Smart Garage Solutions to Consider
As you consider making the change to a smart garage, there are some features you’ll want to make sure you’re looking into. To ensure you’re not missing out on anything, we’ve laid out some of the most popular smart solutions you can install in your garage.
1. Smart Garage Thermostat
Whether it’s cooling your garage down in the summer, or warming it up in the winter, purchasing a smart garage thermostat can bring many benefits to your home. These thermostats allow you to control the temperature automatically without having to change it manually inside the garage.
Before you choose a smart garage thermostat, you’ll want to make sure your garage is insulated properly. You’ll also need to find a heater or AC unit that’s compatible with a smart thermostat.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of the most popular smart thermostats you can choose from depending on your BTUs, voltage, and garage area.
- Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat– Compatible with all voice assistant devices, this thermostat is easy to install and can be operated from anywhere with Wi-Fi. You can control it through an app on your phone or with voice assistance. The settings are also stored, allowing you to access them wherever and whenever you want.
- Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat– Saving about 23% on HVAC energy, this thermostat will help you save on your heating and cooling bills. It can be accessed remotely from anywhere with Wi-Fi on an app or with a voice controller. Compatible with all voice assistant devices and comes with an in-built level sensor that makes installation simple.
- Black & Decker Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat– As a multifunctional device, this thermostat works with your home’s systems and energy use. It allows you to save up to 23% on HVAC energy costs and gives alerts for extreme temperature changes. It’s compatible with all voice assistant devices and comes with an easy-to-use interface.
2. Smart Garage Tools
Learning how to make your garage smart isn’t as difficult as it may seem, especially when there are numerous smart tools available for any type of garage space. Sometimes, it’s the little things that count which is why these smart garage tools lend an extra hand for simple, but necessary everyday tasks.
Whether it’s parking, filling up your tires, or needing a little more light while you work, these easily accessible tools can make your life a lot easier. Below, we’ve provided a few of our favorite smart garage tools you can start using based on your specific needs.
- Parking Mat– This park smart garage parking mat prevents parking mishaps that may occur in your garage. Providing a place for your tires to sit, this mat works to guide your car into the right spot as you park. Compatible with all models of passenger cars and trucks, the mat is easy to install, anchored securely to the floor with double-sided tape.
- Air Drop– With this wirelessly controlled air inflator, you can keep your tires full all the time. Offering a 25’ retractable hose, it allows you to set target air pressures on an app on your phone.
The air will automatically stop flowing once the pressure is reached. You have the option to save different target pressures, making it easy to fill up your tires whenever you need.
- Spotlight– Designed to add supplemental lighting for your garage, this spotlight can be controlled by Bluetooth using an app on your phone. You can program the lights to turn on and off based on a set schedule or when doors open and close. It offers a dimmable LED light and can be installed directly into the ceiling.
3. Smart Garage Storage
Maximizing your storage space in your garage can be a daunting task, but learning how to make your garage smart makes it much easier. Smart garage storage solutions allow you to free up floor space for your vehicles or other larger items that can’t be tucked away.
Smart garage storage covers a wide range of features, whether it’s bikes, cargo boxes, or other bulky items, these storage options guarantee your belongings are secure but still easy to get to.
Below, we’ve compiled a list of smart storage solutions you can install that will help you stay organized with ease.
- Bike Lifter– Bikes take up a lot of space in any type of garage. Using this bike ceiling hoist allows you to store your bike securely without taking up any extra floor space. Easy to install and requiring no electricity, this bike hoist can hold up to 40 lbs. It suspends the bike without using bulky ropes or pulleys and is always ready to go when you need it.
- Universal XL Lifter– Whether it’s cargo boxes or kayaks, this lifter is designed to hold any large items at various heights. The universal XL lifter can be controlled by Bluetooth on your phone and allows you to set weight limits, ensuring you and your family are safe. The straps are adjustable giving you the option of balancing multiple items.
- Platform Lifter– Smart and sturdy, this platform lifter is capable of storing a variety of heavy items. Controlled by Bluetooth, you can determine your platform’s dimensions to increase storage capacity as well as the speed and stopping points of the platform. It’s easy to install and designed to prevent items from rolling or tipping off.
4. Smart Garage Door
It’s important to keep every entryway to your home safe, which is why keeping your garage door secure is also a necessity. Learning how to make your garage smart means being prepared, and that’s what smart garage door openers do. There are many ways to make your garage door smart, even if it’s adding new features to an already existing opener or lock.
Smart garage door openers come with a variety of features that allow you to automatically lock/unlock, open/close, and even monitor your garage’s surroundings. Like other smart home devices, these actions can be achieved by simply using an app on your phone.
Below, we’ve listed some of the most secure and efficient smart garage door openers that will keep you safe with just the click of a button.
- Chamberlain MyQ Smart Garage Hub– Compliant with most smart home products, this system adds smart features to a variety of garage door openers. Using the MyQ app, you can check on the status of your garage door and control it remotely. It’s easy to install and uses a bolting bracket to ensure it’s secure on your ceiling.
- Alcidae Garager 2– This garage door device offers a two-in-one camera as well as door control. The Garager 2 works with voice assistants such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa through your Wi-Fi connection. Using the app on your phone will allow you to receive notifications and set up commands.
- Garagdget– Reliable and convenient, the Garagdget adds voice control and remote access to your already existing garage opener. The garage door sensor system is made up of a reflective tag that’s placed on the top panel of your garage door, making it easy to install as well as extra security.
Investing in your garage is just as important as investing in your home. Learning how to make your garage smart can boost your curb appeal and bring your home to the next level while making your life easier.